- Hemp seeds are considered a ‘superfood’ due to their high nutritional value.
- Hemp milk, made from hemp seeds, is a delicious way of obtaining hemp’s benefits.
- Here we explain how to make it at home in a simple way.
What is hemp milk?
Hemp milk is the liquid obtained from blending hemp seeds and water. It has a milky appearance; its flavour is reminiscent of nuts; and it is a good alternative for those who do not want to consume animal milk. Nowadays we can find many vegan alternatives to traditional cow's milk: vegetable drinks are becoming more and more popular and can have many different flavours and nutritional value.
Hemp milk is one of the best alternatives to cow's milk as it does not contain lactose, which makes it a good option for lactose-intolerant people. In addition, it can contribute to improving health.
Given that it is made from hemp seeds, which do not contain any THC, this drink does not produce any psychoactive effects.
What are hemp milk's benefits?
As mentioned above, hemp seeds are considered a 'superfood' due to their high nutritional value. They are a great source of proteins, Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids, essential amino acids, calcium, potassium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, and vitamins A, E, B12, and D. All these nutrients bestow hemp milk with multiple benefits for our body:
- Her high Omega 3 levels help reduce inflammation, which in turn reduces the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and arthritis.
- Due to its high vitamin E content, this drink also helps reinforce the immune system.
- It helps maintain strong and healthy hair and nails.
- It is beneficial at cardiovascular level.
- It stimulates cerebral activity.
- It contributes to cell regeneration.
How to make hemp milk
Making homemade hemp milk is really simple. Despite having an unexpected taste to start off with, it is definitely worth giving it a try because of the numerous benefits that it can provide to our health. Here we include a step by step explanation on how to make hemp's milk. These are the ingredients that you will need:
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- 4 cups water (this can vary from 2 to 6 cups depending on how diluted you like it).
- Any natural sweetener: raw cane sugar, honey, ground cinnamon, etc.
- Optional: cocoa powder
- Step 1: Place hemp seeds, water and natural sweetener in a food blender and blitz until well mixed.
- Step 2: Strain the liquid through a cloth sieve to eliminate any remaining solid particles and achieve a homogeneous texture.
- Step 3: You can drink the milk immediately, or you can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Making homemade hemp milk is really that simple. You will obtain a cheaper, better quality product. Nowadays there are countless vegetable drinks available on the market, but many contain added sugar, which is not always beneficial to our health. With this simple recipe you will be able to make your own hemp milk at home and use it to add to coffee, black tea, or simply drink it by itself. Bon appetit!