- Unfortunately, medical cannabis has no legal status in Spain, so if you wish to enjoy the well-studied benefits of this plant for the treatment of a large number of diseases and conditions, there is no choice but to medicate yourself. In order to do this, you have two options: you may go to a good supplier (fortunately, Spain begins to produce its own supply thanks to the courageous private cannabis cultivators) or grow it yourself.
- In both cases, you should know the differences between the two main species of psychoactive Cannabis - Sativa and Indica- to choose the one that best suits your problem.
Indica varieties (medium to high THC content, content in CBD comparatively high), usually have a sedative psychoactive effect along with a feeling of being "stoned". It relaxes body and mind, reducing muscle tension.
These qualities make it more suitable for diseases such as:
- Multiple-Sclerosis (it reduces spasms and tremors)
- Parkinson's disease (same)
- Arthritis and rheumatism (it fights inflammation and stiffness)
- Insomnia (given its relaxing effects)
- Anxiety (same)
Sativa varieties (medium to high THC content, content in CBD comparatively low) produce a more active and euphoric effect. It is a both physical and mental "high" that tends to stimulate rather than sedate.
These varieties are more effective in treating medical problems such as:
- Nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy or AIDS medication
- Loss of appetite (it distends the stomach and stimulates hunger)
- Migraine (it reduces or completely eliminates the pain)
- Clinical Depression (it produces psychic well-being and a sense of euphoria)
- Chronic pain (analgesic properties). For this disorder Indica also works, so hybrid varieties could be very suitable.
These hybrid varieties are interesting for certain cases, because the combination of Sativa and Indica soothes their edges, generating a reduced psychoactivity and therefore a softer "high". On the other hand, their beneficial effects may also be reduced, so they do not always work as the pure varieties.
Nevertheless, you may also choose to combine both varieties depending of their effects on your daily lives. It is best to use Sativa varieties during the day, for their stimulant action will keep you awake and alert to develop your normal activities, whereas Indicas are good for night-time, because their relaxing effects contribute to relaxation and sleep.
Nowadays, countless varieties with high CBD content are being developed with the purpose of benefiting from the medical properties of cannabis in the future without "getting high". For example, the CBD CREW group, in collaboration with DINAFEM, has created two new hybrid varieties, rich in CBD, which are very valued among cannabis consumers. Always trying to achieve the CBD-THC 1:1 ratio, they will be marketed this coming February.
Whichever you choose, you can rest easy. Despite the absurd official condemnation of this blessed plant and regardless of all efforts made to demonstrate their "dangerousness," no one has yet been able to discover the lethal dose of cannabis.